Craig and John take a look at an old post that found new life this week when it got picked up on Twitter and Reddit. We go beyond the bullet points to look at the process of writing a scene, from asking the basic questions to getting the words on the page.
- What needs to happen in this scene?
- What's the worst that would happen if this scene were omitted?
- Who needs to be in the scene?
- Where could the scene take place?
- What's the most surprising thing that could happen in the scene?
- Is this a long scene or a short scene?
- Brainstorm three different ways it could begin.
- Play it on the screen in your head.
- Write a scribble version.
- Write the full scene.
- Repeat 200 times.
Through this lens, we look at three new entries in the Three Page Challenge.
UPDATE 3-8-13: The transcript of this episode can be found here.