John welcomes independent producer Keith Calder to discuss what a producer actually does, how financing and distribution strategies have changed with streaming, and how to approach film festivals as a filmmaker.
We also answer a listener question about which career path to take after being laid-off: climb the Hollywood ladder or bootstrap and just make films.
* Thanks for joining us, Keith Calder! You can check out his website and wikipedia page.
* Blindspotting comes out this summer. Here is Variety’s review.
* You’re Next and its IMDb page. You can watch it on Amazon now.
* Down Under trailer and IMDb page.
* LiarTown: The First Four Years 2013-2017 by Sean Tejaratchi.
* Eco-Cha Tea Club
* The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
* The USB drives!
* John August on Twitter
* Keith Calder on Twitter
* Craig Mazin on Twitter
* John on Instagram
* Find past episodes
* Outro by Luke Davis (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.