Oct 31, 2017
John and Craig talk with uber-screenwriter Scott Frank (Out of Sight, Get Shorty, Minority Report, Logan) about how his feature script Godless ended up as a miniseries at Netflix.
We then invite more guests up to discuss what movies can learn from the success of TV:
- Guinevere Turner (American Psycho, Go Fish)
- Scott Alexander (Ed Wood, The People v. O.J. Simpson,)
- Tess Morris (Man Up, “You Had Us At Hello” podcast)
- Lindsay Doran (producer of Stranger Than Fiction, Sense and Sensibility)
In our final segment, we’re joined by a new batch of writers to play “The Studio Has Notes.”
- Dana Fox (How to Be Single, Ben and Kate)
- Megan Amram (The Good Place, The Simpsons)
- Oren Uziel (22 Jump Street, Shimmer Lake)
- Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman, Ice Age: Continental Drift)
- Scott Rosenberg (High Fidelity, Beautiful Girls)
Can our lucky audience member pick out the one fake note among the five real ones? Can you?
Recorded live from the Driskill Ballroom at the 2017 Austin Film Festival.
Thanks to the Austin Film Festival for hosting us, and to a great audience. It’s one of our highlights each year.
* Scriptnotes T-shirts are here!
We’ve got Classic
(in light and dark mode), the
Umbrage Strikes Back, and Umbrage
* Thank you, Austin Film Festival!
* Scott Frank’s IMDB and on twitter. And don’t miss the trailer for Godless, his upcoming miniseries on Netflix.
* Guinevere Turner’s IMDB and on twitter
* Scott Alexander’s IMDB
* Tess Morris’s IMDB and on twitter
* Lindsay Doran’s IMDB
* Dana Fox’s IMDB and on twitter
* Megan Amram’s IMDB and on twitter
* Oren Uziel’s IMDB and on twitter
* Jason Fuchs’s IMDB and on twitter
* Scott Rosenberg’s IMDB
* “The Studio Has Notes” notes
* The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
* The USB drives!
* John August on Twitter
* Craig Mazin on Twitter
* John on Instagram
* Find past episodes
* Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.